Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Day 5 in Athens, Day 11 of the Olympiad

All I stepped in today was a lot of mud!

I modified the blog so that anyone can leave comments... oops

Yestereve I met Emily from Detroit. She was also travelling alone, so I asked her if she would like to tag along with me. I was going to try to find some camping for the night. We went out to Voula, but no space. So we camped on the beach in Glyfada. We spred out the tent and stuffed our syuff and ourselves into it. The comical part of all this is that we did not set it up. We just left it laying there I was told that setting it up would be asking for trouble from the cops.
There is this whole subculture here at the Olympics. You dont here about it at all. It's all those who really want to be part of the Olympics and really cant afford to. You find a place to store your luggage and then you are off, sleeping in parcs, squares and beaches. I'm surely not the only one. It is an experience to wake up with the sun on your face and the sound of the medditeranean in your ears. There are showers on the beach to rinse off.
Last night as we went to sleep, there were a bunch of boys playing the harmonica softly. It was really relaxing. In the morning I woke up and the number of bums had multiplied. it seems like its a normal thing, the locals don't even pay attention when people strip down to the buff to change. (I didn't, but I saw someone do it)
While I was waiting the a computer yesterday, I met a young fellow from the states and another from australia. They were both like me. The fellow had a shirt on that said "Want to get rid of that extra ticket?" on the front on the sleeves it said "trade kisses for tickets". And he had already seen a few events. The hot tickets were beach volley ball.
Today, on the bus, a German couple gave Emily and myself two tickets to hockey tommorow morning. They weren't going to be able to make it. I gave them a couple of Canada pins.
Tonight I go see the semifinals of baseball, Canada vs Cuba. If we win we meet Australia again in the finals. So I'm just waiting now to see what tickets to buy gold medal/or bronze medal game.

I am now off to the game! I have on a red tank, Josh's Maple leaf toque, and I'm going to try to find a Flag.